Transit in the Longview-Kelso area began in the 1920’s when three 25-passenger buses carried mill workers to and from work. Different owners have operated systems throughout the years. The last being a husband and wife team operating a single 12-mile route through central Longview and Kelso.
The City of Longview entered the transit business in June 1975, when the private operator suspended operations. Later that year, the City purchased the bus system and began to provide the much-needed service.
In September 1987, citizens voted to create the Cowlitz Transit Authority (CTA). The CTA levies a sales tax in the Longview-Kelso area to fund the service.
Previously the Community Urban Bus Service, CUBS changed its name to RiverCities Transit in 2012.